Thursday, January 25, 2007
I've not made this Pineapple Tart for many years. I use to make the pineapple filling myself, but now I took the risk by buying off shelf. It's available at supermarket during this Chinese New Year season. It turn out well. My colleagues love them.
Another pineapple cookie in the shape of pineapple shape. Thin crust with lots of pineapple jam.
2 pineapples (1kg each), 1/2 ripe pineapple, skin and remove 'eye'
1 cinnamon stick, 3-4cm long
250g brown sugar
500g plain flour
1 egg yolk
2 tbsps cold water
1/2 tsp salt
1 beaten egg for brushing
1) Grind pineapple and drain off juice.
2) Heat cinnamon stick in a drop of hot oil, add cloves, grinded pineapple and brown sugar. Add pandan leave. Stir for 30mins till jam is golden brown.
3) Set aside to cool.
1) Sift flour in a mixing bowl with salt and butter.
2) Knead butter and flour to crumbly (breadcrumb) texture.
3) Add egg yolk and sprinkle water so it's pliable enough to knead into smooth dough.
4) Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
1) Heat oven to 300F
2) Roll pastry to form a long strip 1/2cm thick
3) Use a biscuit cutter to cut out rounds for tart shells, 51/2 cm in diameter
4) Flute tart rim with fingers
5) Fill tart with pineapple jam
6) Brush egg yolk on tart
7) Bake 20 mins until golden brown
8) Cool & Serve